2.1 ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT.
The position will support the UNHCR Country Operation, in coordination with the Government, to assess needs and coordinate the provision of WASH services to persons of concern to UNHCR. This will include WASH contingency and preparedness planning, assessment and development of long term WASH Strategy and operational plans. Coordination at site level with WASH partners in conjunction with the government authorities, and monitoring progress of WASH programme implementation to ensure that an adequate level of WASH service is provided at each site in accordance with the UNHCR WASH Manual and Technical Guidelines, and applicable UNHCR Standards and/or National Standards. The position will manage WASH activities and staff at site level.
2.2 FUNCTIONAL STATEMENT.
- UNHCR’s policies, standards and procedures relating to WASH are appropriately and coherently applied in the area of responsibility.
- UNHCR country operation has sufficient support in the field of WASH and thus better able to meet the needs of persons of concern.
- Technical advice, coordination and oversight provided to enable response to immediate WASH needs (water supply, toilets, showers, wash basins, solid waste management, etc.).
- Development of long term WASH strategy for the sector relevant to those sites that are planned to be long-term sites ensured and local government authorities supported to oversee implementation of the strategy and construction of the necessary infrastructure.
- Regular reports on WASH gaps and implementation through UNHCR reporting channels provided.
- Improved and upgraded water supply system and infrastructure to serve the refugees and other persons of concern, and if possible, also to the host communities implemented.
- Sanitation and solid waste management improved.
- Hygiene promotion and capacity building intensified.
- Environmental impact caused by refugees’ presence in hosting areas reduced.
- At site level, lead the delivery of WASH services for refugees and other persons of concern to meet the UNHCR standards and / or the national WASH standards, depending on the context.
- At site level, act as a focal point for WASH issues within UNHCR and liaise with UN and international agencies, Government and Non-governmental counterparts.
- At site level, Coordinate the activities of WASH Partners, together with other UN agencies, governmental and non-governmental counterparts and local authorities to ensure delivery of WASH services to beneficiaries meet UNHCR standards of assistance, depending on the context.
- Participate in process of drafting WASH strategies, and operational plans for UNHCR WASH programme at the country level.
- Jointly with technical staff of implementing partners and other WASH actors, update detailed needs and resource assessments and revise designs of technical plans as necessary, taking into account practical aspects of implementation, long-term sustainable solutions, and relevant technical specifications and guidelines.
- Advise and assist the UNHCR programme staff on the development of WASH aspects of the programme including planning, budgeting and input to financial management of the programme.
- Provide technical guidance and support to partners on all water, sanitation, hygiene promotion and environment related issues, to ensure quality, cost-effectiveness, sustainability and impact soundness in their implementation and in accordance with UNHCR policies, standards and priorities.
- Support capacity strengthening activities of national UNHCR WASH staff and, if applicable, of staff of implementing/operational partners to address key areas of WASH importance to refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Supervise and monitor the implementation of the ongoing water, sanitation, hygiene projects administered directly by UNHCR and its partners.
- Ensure that mechanisms to monitor the performance of UNHCRs partners on WASH activities in the refugee camps / settlements / host community are in place.
- Ensure that the WASH monitoring system data collection and reporting is carried out systematically, properly and timely with quality information.
- Report regularly on WASH activity implementation by all WASH partners, while maintaining accurate records of all relevant WASH performance indicators.
- Support preparation of monthly sectorial reports and submit material for preparation of periodic project monitoring reports as required by the office at country level.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- At site level, represent UNHCR in WASH Sector meetings.
- Represent UNHCR in implementation and monitoring of all WASH activities.
- Enforce technical standards, protocols and guidelines.
- Request WASH sector partners for engineering design, assessment and monitoring & evaluation documents associated with the WASH activities.
- Liaise and report with WASH sector partners to raise issues, provide feedback.
2.4 ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/ BS) in Civil/ Environmental/ Water/ Public Health Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience (2 years with Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s).
- Knowledge of local institutions.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken).
***For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
2.5 DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES.
- Good knowledge and understanding of WASH standards for emergencies and refugee camps including UNHCR WASH Manual, SPHERE (e-SPHERE) and UNHCR Emergency Handbook technical guidelines and standards.
- Knowledge and understanding of water and wastewater hydraulics and physical, chemical and biological properties; solid waste management practices, vector control, sanitation and hygiene promotion/awareness raising strategies.
- Knowledge and understanding of relationship between water, wastewater, solid waste, human waste, vector control to public health indicators, and value of hygiene promotion/awareness raising.
- Knowledge and understanding of risk based monitoring and evaluation, multi-criteria analysis and project management and control.
- Excellent knowledge of Chittagonian and/or Rohingya language.
Submission of application:
Interested candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to submit their applications with complete Personal History Form (P11) and motivation letter via online UNHCR Bangladesh Job Portal www.unhcr.io/jobs.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for an interview and written test. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. No late applications will be accepted.
UNHCR is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
Deadline for submission of application: 19 November 2017.