Room to Read is a US based international non-profit organization. We envision a world in which all children can pursue a quality education, reach their full potential and contribute to their community and the world. To achieve this goal, we focus on two areas where we believe we can have the greatest impact: literacy and gender equality in education. We work in collaboration with communities and local governments and partner organizations across Asia and Africa to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the life skills they’ll need to succeed in school and beyond. Room to Read currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Zambia. To learn more about Room to Read, please visit www.roomtoread.org.
Room to Read is working in Bangladesh since 2008. We are inviting applications from Bangladeshi nationals to work in the following regular position:
(Based in Dhaka and Reports to the Director of Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning)
This full-time staff member is responsible for facilitating the development of an Grade Reading Research Agenda, leading the project’s early grade reading research activities, and convening researchers, policy makers, and practitioners to advance evidence-based decision making for early grade reading programs and policies in Bangladesh.
The Research Coordinator will carry out the following functions: 1) coordinate and oversee the development and implementation of an Early Grade Reading Research Agenda; 2) lead the design and implementation of research (secondary and primary) 3) foster capacity building in early grade reading research in Bangladesh; and 4) promote the use of evidence in early grade reading policy and practice. These activities will be undertaken in close collaboration with the government agencies involved in this project.
The Research Coordinator will work with key ministry and research institutions to identify capacity building needs in early grade reading research and coordinate initiatives to build expertise in researchers involved in early grade research studies and upcoming scholars interested in the field.
The Research Coordinator will define and oversee a strategy to strengthen coordination among the research, policy, and practice communities focused on early grade reading in Bangladesh. The Research Coordinator will support the Ministry and other partners in integrating early grade research findings into educational practices, materials and guides, policy briefs and other related products.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Research Coordinator will have two primary functions:
1. Lead the development and coordination of a national early grade reading research agenda and strategy:
- Design, organize and facilitate research agenda and design workshops with Ministry counterparts and other stakeholders.
- Document a formal early grade reading research agenda with operational plan.
- Conduct literature reviews on best practices associated with early grade reading (e.g., curriculum, instruction, material development, parental and community engagement, school leadership), with a focus on Bangladesh and South Asia.
- Develop and execute a research dissemination strategy to increase uptake of project-generated evidence by practitioners and policy makers.
- Develop, coordinate and facilitate seminars, forums, roundtables and other events on early grade reading research-related themes.
- Design, organize and facilitate an annual research agenda validation workshop, research agenda accordingly.
- Develop and implement a research capacity building plan targeting key ministerial, research and academic institutions in Bangladesh.
2. Lead the design, commissioning and management of research:
The Research Coordinator, in collaboration with other project staff will support the design and implementation of research studies. This work will be conducted in close collaboration with Ministry counterparts. It is anticipated that research studies will be implemented by Room to Read, with contracting for local data collection, or in partnership with local research and/or academic institutions. All research activities will include local capacity building objectives:
- Lead the development of strategies to implement applied research in collaboration with project implementation counterparts.
- Lead the design of specific quantitative and qualitative studies focused on early grade reading evidence building.
- Lead the design of instruments as well as sampling and selection strategies.
- Lead the development of research terms of references/request for proposals and manage competitive selection processes.
- Manage research studies, including data collection and data analysis, providing technical assistance and quality assurance.
- As required, conduct data analyses, draft research findings and co-publish research findings.
The Research Coordinator will define and oversee a strategy to strengthen coordination among the between the research, policy, and practice communities focused on early grade reading in Bangladesh. The Research Coordinator will support the Ministry and other partners in integrating early grade research findings into educational practices, materials and guides, policy briefs and other related products.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience, with at least 3 years of experience designing and managing data collection efforts in developing countries (based internationally or in-country).
- Prior experience and technical competence in education-related measurement strategies.
- Strong quantitative analysis skills; with proven ability to work with software packages such as Stata/SPSS/SAS.
- Proven experience with research design, including sample design and power calculations.
- Proven experience facilitating multi-stakeholder research and/or evaluation design workshops.
- Prior experience managing large research projects and smaller consultancies in developing country contexts in close collaboration with ministries, implementing partners and other stakeholders.
- Prior experience translating research findings into policy recommendations and facilitating uptake of research by practitioners and policy makers.
- Strong organizational abilities including strong team management abilities.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and networking skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Minimum of working proficiency in Bangla.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish effective relationships.
- Degree in related field required, MA preferred.
- Legally eligible to work in Bangladesh; no sponsorship provided
- Strong project management skills.
- Demonstrable attention to detail and accuracy.
- Clear thinking and effective decision making, ability to retain composure under pressure.
- At least 5 years of experience in the education sector with a focus on early grade reading.
- Knowledge of the state-of-the-field in literacy-related measurement, research and evaluation.
- Knowledge of the Bangladeshi education system and the state of the evidence for early grade reading in Bangladesh.
- Knowledge of strategies for institutional and individual capacity building.
- Prior experience with qualitative research designs and data analysis
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled.
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Interested candidates meeting the above requirements should apply online through https://osv-rtr.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/RoomToRead/job/Bangladesh---Main---Dhaka/Research-Coordinator_R-00686 on or before 19 July 2018. Any persuasion attempt will disqualify your candidacy.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying & developing
the skills & leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.
“Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply”