Room to Read is a global organization transforming the lives of millions of children in low-income countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Founded in 2000 on the belief that World Change Starts with Educated Children®, our innovative model focuses on deep, systemic transformation within schools in low-income countries during two time periods which are most critical in a child’s schooling: early primary school for literacy acquisition and secondary school for girls’ education. We work in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children and ensure girls can complete secondary school with the skills necessary to negotiate key life decisions. By focusing on the quality of education provided within the communities and ensuring these outcomes are measured, we have created a model that can be replicated, localized and sustained by governments. Room to Read has benefited 10 million children across 17,000 communities in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam and Zambia, and aims to reach 15 million children by 2020.
Room to Read is working in Bangladesh since 2008. We are inviting applications from Bangladeshi nationals for the position of Literacy Director:
(Based in Country Office in Dhaka and Reports to the Country Director)
This position is responsible for overseeing the overall design and technical quality of Room to Read’s Bangladesh Literacy program. The Director will provide technical guidance, oversight, direction and support to the Literacy program. The position will closely collaborate with the Program Operations Director and Field Managers. The Literacy Director is a member of the Country Management Team, reporting to the Country Director. This position will be based in Bangladesh and will require regular travel to project sites and District offices. The Literacy Director manages the Literacy program technical teams, which includes the Program Manager, Quality Reading Materials and Program Manager, Instructional Design & Teacher Support.
Management and Coordination
- Oversees the transition from individual programs to a single, integrated Literacy program.
- Provides technical expertise to assist country and field staff with the recruitment, training, and development of Literacy program staff and provide regular feedback on their performance.
- Identifies Literacy program staff capacity-building and professional development needs and assist the Human Resources team with sourcing of support to address the needs; provides similar support to partner capacity-building efforts.
- Serves as a member of the Country Management Team, which provides overall support and direction for the work of Room to Read in country.
Program Design, Implementation, Training, and Monitoring
- Collaborates with the Global and Regional Literacy program team members in developing, refining, and adapting the global Literacy program design and provide technical support to the CO Literacy Program units in contextualizing the global designs and guidelines.
- Ensures global Literacy program guidelines and modules are being implemented and adapted to the local context, as needed.
- Provides technical advice and guidance in support of Literacy program implementation and research, monitoring and evaluation, including, where appropriate, government and NGO Partner staff that may be responsible for implementing various components of the Literacy program.
- Visits program sites to assess effectiveness of program design and implementation, training, workshops, as well as other purposes and provide recommendations based on field findings to the Program Operations Director (POD) and Country Director (CD) for further improvement of the activities.
Planning, Reporting and Documentation
- Provides the technical input necessary to support the Program Operations Director’s Literacy program annual, quarterly and periodic budget development, reviews and reporting processes.
- Oversees the collection, documentation and sharing of effective practices from the Literacy program with Country, Regional and Global Literacy program teams.
- In collaboration with the Regional and Global Research, Monitoring & Evaluation (“RM&E”) team, oversees the collection and usage of program metrics that can be analyzed by RM&E to enhance the effectiveness of the Literacy Program.
External Coordination and Networking
- Provides the technical input necessary to prepare annual or multi-year project permission and fund release documents, as appropriate, to obtain permission from the NGO affairs bureau, Directorate of Primary Education and/or other government bodies both at the national and district level.
- Explores opportunities with government to obtain support (for example, financial support, public acknowledgment of Room to Read’s work, advocacy for successful Room to Read program elements) as well as replicate Room to Read’s ideas and innovations into the mainstream education system at the local, regional, and national levels.
- Represents Room to Read by attending and speaking at relevant forums and advocates for the importance of Literacy program work.
- Master’s degree required in a related field of study (e.g. MA, MSS, MPA, or MSc in International Education, Development Studies, Education, or Early Childhood Development or any other related subject)
- Substantial, relevant working experience in education programs
- Experience of working within literacy development programs
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience in a field focused on primary education, with a minimum of three years in a senior management capacity
- Demonstrated leadership in program planning and design
- A proven ability to establish effective working relationships and partnerships with diverse stakeholders, including donors
- Strong coaching, mentoring and training skills
- Experience working with NGOs
- Effective English communication skills (oral and written) and capability to relate and interact with multicultural teams and represent the organization in professional forums
- Willingness to work with strict deadlines
- Ability to travel frequently, occasionally on short notice, and, when required, for extended periods of time
- Experience working with government schools
- Experience in language education at the primary stage
- Experience teaching at the primary stage
- Experience working with local communities
We offer competitive salary. The benefits include:
- Provident Fund;
- 13th Month Bonus;
- Discretionary Performance Bonus;
- Health coverage including spouse and children;
- Professional Development opportunities.
- The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education
Interested candidates meeting the above requirements should apply online through https://osv-rtr.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/RoomToRead/job/Bangladesh---Main---Dhaka/Literacy-Director-----CO---level-_R-00461-1 on or before 14 December 2017. Any persuasion attempt will disqualify your candidacy. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying & developing
the skills & leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.
“Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply”