As a service provider with worldwide operations in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. GIZ is a public-benefit federal enterprise and supports the German Government as well as many public and private sector clients in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
For the team of our Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Program (REEEP), we seek applications from suitable candidates for position of “Senior Advisor - Sustainable Energy”.
Job Location: Dhaka (time to time field visit might require)
Contract Duration: Up to 31 October, 2018 (with possibility of extension subject to availability of fund and individual performance)
Possible Contract Starting Date: August, 2017
Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency is one of the priority areas of German Development Cooperation in Bangladesh. The Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Program (REEEP) of GIZ, supported by the Bangladesh Ministry of Power, Energy, and Mineral Resources and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, is working to promote the use of renewable energy, as well as efficient use of energy by building the capacities of relevant stakeholders, promoting the new and customized renewable energy and energy efficient technologies through sector assessment, successful piloting, building the business case and improving the framework conditions towards market uptake.
The strategic orientation of the programme is to increase the use of 'renewable energies' and 'energy efficiency improvement' along with building 'conceptual bases' for creating and up-scaling of the same. Sustainable and Renewable Energy Development Authority (SREDA) is REEEP’s government counterpart.
As ” Senior Advisor ”, the applicant will actively participate in implementing Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency component activities/interventions under the supervision of Component manager, Energy Efficiency and Programme Coordinator, REEEP. As per current proposition, the position will devote 50% time for Renewable Energy (RE) and 50% time for Energy Efficiency (EE) Component of REEEP.
In addition the incumbent will assist the Programme Coordinator/Component Managers in preparing any acquisition or funding proposal for RE/EE interventions.
In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
Core scope of tasks
Specific tasks are:
- Planning, designing and implementing interventions of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy in consultation with Component Manager, Energy Efficiency and Programme Coordinator, REEEP
- Developing Business Model for Energy Efficiency (EE) and Renewable Energy (RE) interventions of REEEP with the ultimate aim of sustainability and commercial viability
- Undertaking activities for market development of RE and EE technologies in close cooperation of the intervention advisors of the respective components
- Design and implement interventions for Capacity Development of key partners and stakeholders including Sustainable and Renewable Energy Development Authority (SREDA) and other relevant GOB agencies
- Review and analysis of Studies and Policies related to Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency and present findings to REEEP management and/or stakeholders
- Work closely with M&E team to provide inputs from business and market development perspective
- Develop TOR and manage contracts including procurement and consulting contracts in coordination with REEEP management and GIZ Contracts Department
- Provide guideline/content to PR & Communication expert to develop any sorts of communication materials related to RE/EE interventions
- Assist Component Managers and/or Programme Coordinator in Preparing technical proposals for acquiring fund from other donors for any new interventions or expansion or scaling up of interventions
- Conceptualise, prepare and organize workshops, seminars, and other events related to the programme’s field of activities
D. Required Entry Qualifications and Competencies
- Graduates from Engineering discipline and preferably with Masters in Business Administration from reputed institutions
- Minimum 8 years of relevant working experience including at least 2 years in a similar position
- Experience of working closely with Government of Bangladesh (GOB) as well as with International organizations will be considered as an asset
- A clear exposure to energy sector, preferably in the area of Sustainable Energy, at least for 2 years will get solid preference
E. Further Knowledge/ Skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to successfully navigate a politically sensitive environment
- Experience to work with a multi-disciplinary team in a multi-cultural environment
- Basic knowledge of development issues in the context of Bangladesh.
- Experience of project management and research experience in relevant fields
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
F. Language skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Bangla is a basic requirement
- Fluency in German (Speaking, Reading and Writing) will be an asset
- GIZ reserves the right to appoint a person at above or lower level based on qualification and experience
- GIZ reserves the right to adjust the Job Description of the position as and when required.
- Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.