As a service provider with worldwide operations in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. GIZ is a public-benefit federal enterprise and supports the German Government as well as many public and private sector clients in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
For the team of our Climate Finance Readiness Programme (“CF Ready”), we seek applications from suitable candidates for the position of “Liaison and Communication Specialist”.
Job Location: Dhaka (NDA Secretariat at the Economic Relations Division)
Contract Duration: Until the end of 2017 (possibility of extension depending on performance and fund availability)
The Climate Finance Readiness Programme (“CF Ready”) assists developing countries and emerging economies in preparing for the implementation of mitigation and adaptation activities using international climate finance. The new Green Climate Fund (GCF) will likely become a main source of this finance. Appropriate institutional and strategic conditions for the efficient, transformative and results-oriented use of international climate finance are currently not in place in many developing countries and emerging economies or at the global level. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Economic Development, the Czech Ministry of Environment and USAID. The Climate Finance Readiness Programme currently operates in 15 countries.
The programme works in three focus areas, namely
- Supporting national and regional climate finance institutions
- Providing strategic and conceptual advice
- Facilitating the exchange of experience in climate finance.
These activities will improve the effectiveness and viability of international climate funds (particularly those of GCF), promote the swift and efficient delivery of their finance, and build capacities in the partner countries. The activities include the provision of technical, organisational and process consultancy by international, regional and local long-term and short-term experts, as well as education and training.
The programme works in close partnership & exchange with UNEP, WRI and UNDP and the African Development Bank. Since 2014 the programme established very close contact with the GCF Secretariat – in particular its GCF Readiness and Preparatory Support Programme. It further engages in exchange with other actors that also promote readiness measures on behalf of the German Government.
In Bangladesh, CF Ready works in close partnership with the Economic Relations Division (ERD), which is the National Designated Authority (NDA) of the GCF in the country. The main focus of the activities in the last year were an institutional assessment of the NDA secretariat, supporting several institutions in Bangladesh to conduct an NIE-self-assessment and co-hosting a high-level workshop on the private sector engagement in the context of the GCF. GIZ has also been selected as the Delivery Partner for Activity Area 1 under the GCF Readiness Support Programme, which is “Strengthening of the National Designated Authority”.
The position holder will be based in the Economic Relations Division (ERD) and work with the NDA Secretariat. Initially the contract will be for until the end of 2017, with the possibility of extension depending on performance and availability of funding.
The position holder is responsible for:
- Managing different work streams under the CF Ready Programme and GCF Readiness Support programme for which GIZ is the delivery partner
- Providing advisory services to the NDA Secretariat to make it functional through supporting institutional and capacity development activities
- Coordinate in close cooperation with the NDA & Bangladesh CF Ready Programme for the implementation of the GCF Readiness Programme
- Supporting the NDA in setting up a GCF Advisory Committee
- Working on the establishment of processes within the secretariat
- Coordinating with key stakeholders to organize meetings, dialogues, workshops and training events under the scope of the CF Ready Programme and GCF Readiness Support programme.
- Knowledge management within the secretariat
- Supporting in updating relevant information on the NDA website as required
In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
Core scopes of the tasks for which the incumbent will be responsible are as follows.
The incumbent will:
- Coordinate the implementation of the following work packages to ensure timely implementation and quality control. (Quality control will entail ensuring that the delivered product is in line with the partner’s expectation and within the scope of the project. Managing partner’s expectation and ensuring that those are reflected in the delivered products will be a major task for this position. For the implementation of these work packages external expertise will be hired when and where required, in such case the incumbent will be responsible to support the external experts in organizing meetings and discussions with the NDA Secretariat and other relevant individuals within ERD or other agencies.)
- Developing a website for the NDA Secretariat
- Developing a knowledge management system for the NDA Secretariat
- Developing a software/application to be embedded within the NDA Website for digitizing the project proposal submission, screening, no objection procedure, nomination letter procedure, etc.
- Coordinate the in-country mission of foreign consultants and organize consultation meetings as per requirement.
- Coordinate the implementation of the Action Plan developed for the implementation of the “Institutional and Capacity Assessment Report” prepared by the NDA Secretariat with the support from GIZ. Implementation of the Action Plan will/may entail the following tasks-
- Supporting the setup and dissemination of different procedures and guidelines, e.g. No Objection Procedure, Nomination Letter Procedure, Project proposal submission and screening, M&E procedure, etc.
- Supporting the setup of the Advisory Committee (AC) and provide secretarial services to the NDA Secretariat in managing the work flow of the AC.
- Support in and conduct research and studies for the NDA secretariat
2. Advisory Services
- Stay up-to-date on GCF procedures and Government of Bangladesh processes related to the project activities and advise the NDA Secretariat and CF Ready Bangladesh on implementation arrangements of the different work packages
- Regularly communicate with potential NIEs and provide advisory services to them on NDA and GCF processes. These communications has to be closely coordinated with the CF Ready Bangladesh and with prior consultation with the NDA.
- Regularly communicate with potential Executive Entities and advise them on project preparation and concept development as per GCF Country Investment Framework and NDA’s GCF Country Strategic Framework. These communications has to be closely coordinated with the CF Ready Bangladesh and with prior consultation with the NDA.
3. Event Management
The incumbent will undertake the following tasks with the responsibility of Event Manager-
- Support in design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars, trainings and other events, as required
- Take lead in organizing meetings, workshops, trainings and fieldtrips and other events (e.g. preparing materials and logistics, communicating by phone, etc.) and take minutes and maintain administrative support during meetings and other events.
4. Secretarial Services to the NDA
The incumbent will provide the following secretarial services to the NDA Secretariat when and where required under the guidance of the NDA (or Officer designated by the NDA):
- Support cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with key stakeholders, assists with PR work for the NDA secretariat such as preparing speeches, PR materials, as required
- Cooperate with key stakeholders from the government, civil society, development partners, NGOs and private sector to improve and maintain good working relationships for the NDA secretariat and GIZ
- Maintain communication and update advisory committee members on developments of the NDA secretariat, GCF, etc. as required
5. Support with Media
- Support the NDA Secretariat in preparing press release and other briefing materials for the electronic and print media.
- Support the NDA Secretariat in organizing press events.
6. Knowledge and Document Management
The incumbent will be responsible for the following knowledge and document management tasks:
- Stay up-to-date and archive relevant communication and documents from the GCF
- Support in the development of an archiving structure for the NDA secretariat
- Support in the development of ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- Draw up reports and presentation documents
- Prepare appropriate input for reports for the NDA and GIZ as well as contribute to the other reports required by GIZ
- Manage and update communication tools (e.g. disseminate key operational procedures and requirements of the Fund, the no-objection procedure and status of funding proposals and programmes, and M&E results) for the NDA secretariat on the NDA website in close coordination with the ERD IT team
D. Reporting and line management:
The incumbent will be based in ERD and will work closely with the NDA Secretariat under the guidance of the NDA or the Officer designated by NDA. The incumbent will also work closely with the personnels assigned by UNDP and work as a team. The position will have a dual reporting responsibility to both the NDA and the GIZ. In terms of day-to-day tasks he/she will report to the NDA, while in terms overall project implementation and coordination responsibilities he/she will be reporting to the GIZ. Performance evaluation of the position will be done by both NDA and GIZ, though any final decision regarding the staff will be under the jurisdiction of GIZ and shall be in line of NDA’s confirmation based on discussion and concensus.
E. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Masters degree in public policy, climate change, environmental studies, development studies or of a similar field (combined with extensive experience in similar responsible position)
- At least 5 years of work experience in the development sector with previous experience in working with GoB officials or international development agencies.
- Experience and knowledge on climate change, climate finance, development policy will be of added value
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Administrative and office management skills
- Strong communication and facilitation skills and event management experience
- Detail-oriented and organized
- High level of self-motivation as well as ability to work as part of a team
- High Computer literacy in Microsoft packages (MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, Outlook); including online communication experience (knowledge of content management systems and social media)
- Both written and spoken skills in English and Bangla are essential
F. Duration, location and expected starting time:
The incumbent will be initially provided a contract until the end of 2017, with the possibility of extension depending on performance and fund availability. Work station will primarily be the NDA Secretariat at the Economic Relations Division. Expected starting time is as soon as possible.